Improve Indoor Air Quality.
Reduce Energy Cost.
Wet or humid crawlspaces are a common problem with houses in our area. The source of moisture can be associated with poor drainage around the home, but a relatively unknown problem stems from foundation ventilation. Building scientists are now warning that people living in the hot, humid southeastern portion of the United States should not be ventilating crawlspaces. Introducing warm humid air into a cool, dark crawlspace causes moisture to condense on the cold air conditioning ductwork, wood floor system, ground surface and foundation. As this condensation collects over time, the humidity in the crawlspace rises and this can lead to mold and fungal growth on the wood floor system. This in turn can lead to dry rot or fungal decay. It is also the primary cause of cupped hardwood flooring inside the home.
The best repair for humid/wet crawl spaces is to install an encapsulation system. This entails cleaning the crawl space of all trash/debris, installing perimeter drains when deemed necessary, then completely covering the ground with a thick, reinforced, polyethylene vapor barrier that is extended up and sealed to the interior/perimeter foundation system. This blocks all ground moisture and outside air from entering the crawl space atmosphere. In some cases a dehumidifier can be installed to lower the humidity levels in the crawl space, especially when the wood floor system has taken on excessive moisture.
We take pride in our work, ask how our system is different from others in our area.
- 12 mil anti-microbial, UV protected, reinforced ground liner.
- White liner and tape for a clean and neat appearance.
- Performance guaranteed
- Adhesive wall liner that creates complete seal around foundation. This means no damaging fasteners or nails in your foundation wall.
Benefits of Crawlspace Encapsulation
1) Lower energy costs: Our professional crawl space encapsulation services will provide insulation to the walls of your crawl space which results in a 10% to 20% annual savings on your home energy bill. This crawl space service will actually pay for itself over time!
2) Home comfort is increased: Crawl space encapsulation can help prevent your floors from becoming cold during the winter months. It is great for maintaining a comfortable temperature of hardwood floors as well as tile floors. Not only does it help keep your floors from feeling cold, it also keeps your home from feeling humid and wet during the summer months.
3) Eliminate musty odors: Our Crawl system will get rid of moisture from under your home; therefore, this means no musty, wet odors will be dispersed into your home via the air conditioning unit.
4) Increased air quality: With an unsealed crawl space, the moist environment is a breeding ground for mold and mildew which can be circulated throughout your home. When the presence of moisture is eliminated in your crawl space, there will be no more humid unconditioned air coming into your home. Crawlspace encapsulation promotes clean air circulation throughout your home, making your indoor air healthier to breathe for everyone in your house.
5) Eliminates insect infestations / increases home value: When the moisture in your crawl space is reduced, it can eliminate a damp, moist environment that insects such as termites need to survive. With Greenserve’s crawl space system, you can help eliminate the threat of creepy crawlies in your home.
Reduce Your Energy Costs
Advanced Energy’s pilot study in 2005 gave the industry hard data backing a closed crawlspace system. This North Carolina field study found homes with closed crawlspaces saw energy savings of more than 15% a year on average for heating and cooling.
Did you know?
In a typical home 40% of the air you breathe in your home comes directly from the crawlspace.